Sunday 24 July 2011

Review: Stolen (Women of the otherworld #2) by Kelley Armstrong

Description (from Goodreads)
Even though she's the world's only female werewolf, Elena Michaels is just a regular girl at heart -- with larger than normal appetites. She sticks to three feasts a day, loves long runs in the moonlight, and has a lover who is unbelievable frustrating yet all the more sexy for his dark side. Like every regular girl, she certainly doesn't believe in witches. Then again, when two small, ridiculously feminine women manage to hurl her against a wall, and then save her from the hunters on her tail, Elena realizes that maybe there are more things in heaven and earth than she's dreamt of.
Vampires, demons, shamans, witches -- in Stolen they all exist, and they're all under attack. An obsessed tycoon with a sick curiosity is well on his way to amassing a private collection of supernaturals, and plans to harness their powers for himself -- even if it means killing them. For Elena, kidnapped and imprisoned deep underground, separated from her Pack, unable to tell her friends from her enemies, choosing the right allies is a matter of life and death.


This is the second book in the Women of the Otherworld series, and another great read.

I'd read some reviews before I started this (I know but I couldn't help myself) and I was a little apprehensive. I'm reading this series for the werewolves and some reviews imply that there wasn't much of the wolves. But I needn't have worried. There was plenty.

I got totally absorbed. Again. I love clay and elena and I'm going to miss them until I can read Broken.

I adore Armstrong's writing style (well the style these first 2 books are written in at least). She doesn't seem to waste words, or emotions. She doesn't repeat things over and over until her point is slapping you in the face. She doesn't spoon feed you, she expects you to feed yourself, and I like that. I definitely like that.

That's not to imply that it's devoid of emotion, it's so not. Infact I teared up a few times, its just that Armstrong make you work for them. It makes reading her books (or these books) such a pleasure. I don't think it was as good as Bitten, but it still great.
Rating: 5/6 - Really Liked It

2 comments:

  1. "I adore Armstrong's writing style (well the style these first 2 books are written in at least). She doesn't seem to waste words, or emotions. She doesn't repeat things over and over until her point is slapping you in the face. She doesn't spoon feed you, she expects you to feed yourself, and I like that. I definitely like that."

    I agree completely. Kelley Armstrong strikes a beautiful balance between detail and action, and it makes her books compelling to read.

    Just have to add that I started reading hers for the werewolves, too - but her other supernaturals are just as intriguing, and ending up capturing my imagination just as vividly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get back into this series. I read Stolen a few months back and I'm currently stuck on Dime Store Magic. It kinda got left aside as I went through my Zombie phase.

    I liked that Stolen wasn't only about the werewolves, but I think I'm struggling with Dime Store Magic because I know they don't feature in it at all -or so I believe.

    ReplyDelete