Thursday 21 July 2011

Review: The good, the bad, and the Undead (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows #2) by Kim Harrison


Description (from Goodreads)
Rachel Morgan s back, and in more trouble than ever! Fans of Laurell K. Hamilton and other vampire novels won t want to miss the second novel in Kim Harrison s addicting--and already bestselling--supernatural series.
Former-bounty-hunter Rachel Morgan has it pretty good. She s left the corrupt Inderland Runner Service and started her own independent service. She s survived werewolves, shape-changing demons, bad-hair days, and sharing a church with her vampire roommate Ivy. She even has a cute (if human) boyfriend-what more could a witch want?
But living with a reformed vampire isn t all it s cracked up to be, particularly when your roommate s very bad ex-boyfriend wants her back, and wouldn t mind you in the process. And especially when he s six feet of sheer supernatural seduction, and you ve got a demon mark that makes vampires literally hotter than hell....
To save herself and Ivy, Rachel must confront the vampire master-and the dark secrets she's hidden even from herself.

I struggled to get to grips with the first couple of pages. It felt like I was just dumped straight into the thick of it and it took me a few pages to catch up. This happened with the first book, but I kinda guess that's the effect Harrison's after. Its one of the first elements of story telling we're taught in school after all; put the reader straight into the middle of the action. But when there's so much mundane detail right at the beginning it confuses me, well it does with Hollow books. But I'm nitpicking.

What I'm loving about this series so far are the vampires. They are scary! These aren't loveable rouges, no they are scary motherfuckers and I love it. Ivy especially. God when she blows she blows evil on your ass. She's so calm that it's chilling.

I know what was missing from the first book! Romance! I'm glad it finally made an appearance here. During the first half I didn't feel the chemistry between nick and Rachel at all (maybe because there wasn't any). I even though for a brief moment that she may have got on it with Glenn (lol). I'm glad we saw a bit more of their relationship (her and Nicks).

I found myself skim reading parts of the last quarter of the book, though. I think mainly it was because the action (tension?) scenes were littered with other little details that I got distracted. I was rushing to get to the important bits.

I really liked the plot, and enjoyed the book as a whole. I wish there was less mundane detail though. It clogs up the action and distracts me. It's for that reason this gets a 5 and not a 6.

I'm still looking forward to reading the next book though.

Rating: 5/6 - Really Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment