Monday 4 July 2011

Review: Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins



Description (from Goodreads)
Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.

I couldn't wait to get stuck in to this book. I started it as soon as I finished Catching Fire, which I read right after the Hunger Games. So now it feels like one book not three. I have no idea how I'm going to review it. I can't seem to gather my thoughts. I was left speechless. My boyfriend kept asking me what the matter was, as I was unusually quiet. I tried to explain that I'd just finished reading an intense trilogy, but how to explain something you can't explain, to someone who doesn't read so has no understanding of how it can affect you?

I was kinda detached throughout this book though. I think I realised early on that anything was possible and to not to become too attached to the characters. I had to really try hard to not go over to Goodreads and read some reviews just to find out if everything was going to be okay. I think at some point I didn't even believe katniss was safe.

I wish that katniss was a little more involved in the fighting, but as it was she was usually knocked out, waking up in hospital. We found out what happened through someone else retelling it. But then again she was only a tool in the rebels war. Yeah, ok she was old enough to be sent into the games, but I don't think the leaders of the rebellion (well at least those from district 13) ever took her seriously. She was just a tool to manipulate the common people. Propaganda can win wars people and Katniss was the Rebels mascot. I was amazed she managed to stay alive after she outlived her usefulness.

Spolierish so scroll if you dare...

I don't think that katniss should have been allowed to 'not' choose between Gale and Peeta. She should have had to chose one or the other. I was really disappointed that Gale just drifted out of her life. They were really close, and he apparently loved her so why would he desert her when she needed her friends the most? Also it just felt like she and Peeta slipped into a relationship only because he was the only one to stick around. It was an easy way out. Then again, after everything else maybe she deserved to take the easy choice, but I was left a little unsatisfied by the ending and epilogue.

This book ends a great trilogy. I'm so glad I read them, and I can't wait for the film :)

Rating: 6/6 - It Was Amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment