Sunday 24 July 2011

Review: Dark lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J.R. Ward


In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing their enemies more than Wrath, the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood...
The only purebred vampire left on the planet, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But when one of his most trusted fighters is killed - orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate - Wrath must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead... Racked by a restlessness in her body that wasn't there, Beth Randall is helpless against the dangerously sexy man who comes at night with shadows in his eyes. His tales of brotherhood and blood frighten her. But his touch ignites a dawning hunger that threatens to consume them both


I borrowed this book quite a few months ago and left it to gather dust before finally picking up 6 months later. I don't know why I left it so long, but I'd start it then turn the first page over and think blah, before putting it back on the shelf.

I kinda liked it to begin with, but I ended up skipping parts. Yes sex, lust and all that good stuff is great but I like the emotions behind those feelings to be more believable than they were. I liked wrath though. Although a toned down version would have been better. The lessers, Mr X, and Marissa all bored me and I ended up skipping to Wrath and Beth parts.

I started off quite liking it, then I liked it a little, then I began to get bored, then finally my eyes began to roll. The more I read the less I liked it. I really wanted to like it but there were too many inconsistencies. Like near the beginning wrath didn't like beth leaving because she was near the Change but over half way she still hasn't changed yet it stopped being an issue.

I won't read it again, although I may read the next book at some point in the future just to make sure I don't want to carry on with the series. I know a few of my friends like it, so I figure that I'm either missing something or it gets better. We'll see.

Rating: 2/6 - Struggled to Finished

No comments:

Post a Comment