Saturday 16 July 2011

Review: Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows #1) by Kim Harrison



Description (from Goodreads)

The underground population of witches, vampires, werewolves—creatures of dreams and nightmares—has lived beside humans for centuries, hiding their powers. But after a genetically engineered virus wipes out a large part of humanity, many of the "Inderlanders" reveal themselves, changing everything.


Rachel Morgan, witch and bounty hunter with the Inderland Runner Services, is one of the best at apprehending supernatural lawbreakers throughout Cincinnati, but when it comes to following the rules, she falls desperately short. Determined to buck the system, she quits and takes off on the run with an I.S. contract on her head and is reluctantly forced to team up with Ivy, Inderland's best runner . . . and a living vampire. But this witch is way out of her league, and to clear her name, Rachel must evade shape-changing assassins, outwit a powerful businessman/crime lord, and survive a vicious underground fight-to-the-death . . . not to mention her own roommate.

I first started reading this late 2010 but for some reason (I think it had something to do with the annoying pixy) I couldn't get into it so only after a few pages I'd leave it and read something else. I'd pick it up every once and a while but I'd read maybe a page then, again, I would looked for something else. It was only when I started to read Shiver (and looking for something else to read in order to avoid it) that I picked it up again and managed to stick with it.

Actually the pixy isn't that annoying. I can't really tell you why I thought he was in the first place, but once I got used to him buzzing round, it was like meh, whatever. Around halfway through I started to like him. I was just really prejudiced against pixies I guess. Maybe I was just sceptical since this was my first time with fairyland characters. I found Ivy really dark and intriguing. The incident with Rachel when they first moved into the church was creepy. I like creepy.

The characters felt well rounded and were easy to like. Rachel wasn't annoying like some heroines I've read recently, and her actions felt real. Above all else though, it's just really well written. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Rating: 5/6 - I Really liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment