Friday 11 March 2011

Review: Stormwalker by Allyson James




Janet Begay is a Stormwalker, capable of wielding the raw elemental power of nature, a power that threatens to overwhelm her. Only her lover, Mick, is able to calm the storm within her-even as their passion reaches unimaginable heights of ecstasy. 

But when an Arizona police chief's daughter is taken by a paranormal evil, they find themselves venturing where no human can survive-for only together can they overcome the greatest danger they've ever faced.

I'd just finished Archangel's Consort and was looking through my To-Read List trying to decide which book to go for next. Then one of the con's of having a To-Read List/Pile bit me on the ass; I always forget how a book ends up on the list or what caught my attention about it in the first place. I managed to whittle my choice down the 3. Darkfever, Stormwalker, and Fallen. Finally I settled on Stormwalker.

I loved the cover and I think it was that which ultimately made up my mind for me.
Janet is half Navajo (fathers side), and more importantly, a Stormwalker. She is able to draw magic from a storm. We are placed immediately into the action as Janet battles with a Skinwalker (no not the loveable Jane Yellowrock!). Calling on a nearby storm to aid her she wins the fight, which she suffers for afterwards. It's an impressive start, and one I don't instantly dislike! We learn straight away that like Allie Beckstrom, Janet has parent issues, but it's Mother issues this time. By chapter 2 we've also met Nash, an annoying Unbeliever who has it in for Janet right from the off.

As much as I thought the first half of this was an enjoyable, easy read, there were elements that stopped me from enjoying it too much; I didn't like the flashback style at all, surely this information could have been slipped in some other way? I also really disliked the original meeting between Janet and Mick. It didn't do anything to make me like the characters, in fact I think I liked them less after reading it. I started losing interest around chapter 11 but thankfully it picked up again around chapter 15, but by then I'd stopped caring. I had to force myself to keep reading, and to be truthful I skim-read the rest.

All the way through it just felt as if I was being told a story. I don't like being told, I want to see. I couldn't connect with the characters at all. I was slightly disappointed after what was a promising first couple of chapters.

Saying all that, it was okay. The beginning and the end were better than the middle which kinda dragged. I didn't really dislike it I just stopped caring. The action towards the end was good but I don't know whether or not I'd read the next book, Firewalker. I have it already on my kindle. I most probably will at some point seeing as I have it already.

Rating:
3/6 - It Was Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment