Monday 21 March 2011

Review: Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires #1)


Description (from Goodreads)
First in a brand new series about a Chicago graduate student's introduction into a society of vampires.
Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war and there will be blood.

I picked this up after I'd finished reading At a Grave's End earlier than expected. I was filling time before finishing the Night Huntress series ready for book 6 (This Side of the Grave) which was out on the 22nd :D

I found Some Girls Bite a little confusing at first and I wondered if I'd missed an earlier short or something, but it didn't take long for me to get into the swing of things and found myself getting gentle sucked in.

There is loads of banter and it made me laugh out loud a lot. I could read Merit's pov forever. The action doesn't come until 3/4 of the way in, but I found that I didn't mind, nor did I particularly notice and that's because of Merit's engaging pov.

I didn't particularly like Ethan and I didn't get Merit's attraction to him. He just seemed an ass.  Morgan seemed a little  more rounded. Team Morgan all the way :)

All in all it was an enjoyable romp and I can't wait to read the next installment.

Rating: 4/6 - Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment