Friday 11 March 2011

Review: Fallen by lauran kate


Description (from goodreads)
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

I'd seen reviews for Fallen on quite a few of the regular blogs and websites I visit. It always seemed to be compared to hush hush by Becca Fitzpatrick and I couldn't decide between them. Then while at a friends house one day, browsing in her library, I noticed she had Hush Hush. Decision made. So read it, and really liked it, then wondered if I should bother reading Fallen. Although I was mesmerised by the cover; it's gorgeous, the reviews on goodreads put me off -so many negative reviews (can I just say I can't actually believe people over on goodreads are compairing it to Twilight. Please, it's nothing like Twilight. At all). I ended up forgetting about it for few months. Until now.

We meet Luce as she's being sent off to reform school after an incident involving a fire and the death of her, boyfriend/guy she liked. I really liked the gothic feel it had to it. I also liked Daniel. The way we met him; Luce saw him and he smiled at her then flipped her off, and that sums his reaction to Luce throughout the first half of the book. The interactions between the characters are captivating enough that they keep you reading even though there's nothing much plot wise going on.

It felt more grown up than Hush Hush but to be honest I can't really remember much about Hush Hush -apart from the fact I read it in one sitting. I also read this in one sitting. I was total sucked in.

The only problem I had with this book was that once the big reveal was, well, revealed, it lost it's allure; the tension that held it all together disappeared.

I particularly liked Arrina and I'm looking forward to seeing how she develops in the next book.

The story was told in haunting, yet simple way. I just hope Torment is just as good... if not better.

Rating: 5/6 - Really Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment