Monday 7 March 2011

Review: Magic at the Gate (Allie Beckstrom #5) by Devon Monk


Description (from Goodreads)

Allie Beckstrom's lover, Zayvion Jones, is a Guardian of the Gate, imbued with both light and dark magic and responsible for ensuring that those energies don't mix. But Zayvion lies in a coma, his soul trapped in death's realm. And when Allie discovers that the only way to save Zayvion is to sacrifice her very own magical essence, she makes a decision that may have grave consequences for the entire world.

Before I go on I have to just say, in case you get the wrong idea, that I'm still very much invested in this series. I'm just finding it easier to say what I don't like about it than what I do.

Magic at the Gate is book 5 of the Allie Beckstrom series. Again it's Allies inability to trust or listen to her dad that grated a little in the first 1/3 of this book. It slowly got worse as the story unfolded. Yes I know she could end up being right eventually; that daddy dearest could very well end up hurting her and her friends, but there has been tender moments from his part, yet she doesn't even acknowledge them. Even when she has memories of him missing meetings to be with her on her birthday (there were a few other memories that proves this point but i forget), yet she pays them no attention. I rolled my eyes for most of the first 1/3 of the book. I was hoping she'd have learnt to listen a bit more or at least get her priorities right (particularly at the end of chapter 17. I was praying that Shame would flip her off) but even though my frustration made me pause many times, it didn't stop me putting it down for good. I'm still interested. I just wish she'd stop pissing me off so much. I devoured books 2,3, and 4, and this one has been great in parts but if I'm being completely honest, she's kinda ruining it a little for me now. And as much as I love Shame (including his history and relationship with Terric) , I found I was missing Zay. He was absent for the majority of this book and for that I was a little sad.

Saying that, I would really really enjoy reading a Shame/Terric/Stone spin-off :D

Rating: 4/6 - liked it

No comments:

Post a Comment