Monday 1 August 2011

Review: A Fistful of Charms (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows #4) by Kim Harrison



Description (from Goodreads)

The evil night things that prowl Cincinnati despise witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan. Her new reputation for the dark arts is turning human and undead heads alike with the intent to possess, bed, and kill her -- not necessarily in that order.
Now a mortal lover who abandoned Rachel has returned, haunted by his secret past. And there are those who covet what Nick possesses -- savage beasts willing to destroy the Hollows and everyone in it if necessary.

Forced to keep a low profile or eternally suffer the wrath of a vengeful demon, Rachel must nevertheless act quickly. For the pack is gathering for the first time in millennia to ravage and to rule. And suddenly more than Rachel's soul is at stake.


I took a mini break after reading book 3 of The Hollows series, Every Which Way But Dead. I was rushing through them as per usual and I always end up regretting it, so I decided to read a different book in between. The book I chose took me a few days to finish so I was more than ready to get back to this series.


Jenks was kinda getting on my nerves at the beginning. I wanted to get hold of him, give him a rough shake and shout at him to get a grip. I didn't see the point of his sulking. Yes, small Pixies have massive egos but what was Harrison's point of having him run off at the last 1/3 of book 3 and just disappear? It didn't benefited the plot any, not as far as I can see anyway. It just made me annoyed with him. He's a blabber mouth, everyone knows it, even him and we love him anyway. He really needed to get over it more quickly. I forgave him not long after, though :)


I was a little shocked at how Kist went from bad ass to domestic kitten in the space of 5 months. Yes he's still dangerous (he's got sharp teeth, duh) but he just seemed like 'the boyfriend' and not a very interesting one at that. I want to see bad ass Kisten!


The first half was a little slow for me. In fact, it felt like it went on forever. It wasn't until I looked on goodreads that I realised how long it was (500 odd pages). I'm still liking Rachel but I'm noticing that she's really quite selfish (I may be late to party with this). I don't think she realises it, though, or that it's done consciously. She just is. It's most obvious with her treatment of Ivy.


And what the hell happened to Nick? Okay, fair dues, I didn't particularly like him anyway but wow he really did get the shitty end of the stick in this book. He went from being an okay kinda guy to a real slimy jerk. I also have to mention the weres. I love werewolves. I really, really do, but they are horrible in this book. Yes, okay they are the bad guys, but come on, really?!


Overall I did really like this book, although I do think it would have been better if the werewolves had more character. They could have been fleshed out better.


Rating: 5/6 - Really Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment